- Start with good quality boxes that will stand up to moving and storage.
- Fill boxes to capacity but don’t under fill or overstuff; otherwise, they will be difficult to stack.
- Wardrobe boxes allow you to store your clothing on hangers, which keeps their shapes intact and makes it easier to unpack and pack your closets.
- Pack heavy items in smaller boxes so they’re easier to lift.
- Take pictures of your stored items and/or make a comprehensive list. Keep it in a safe place at home.
- Label your boxes on all four sides.
- Wrap dishes, glasses, and other fragile items in paper or bubble wrap before packing carefully into boxes.
- Wrap furniture legs with bubble wrap to protect them from dents and scratches.
- Wrap mirrors and pictures in paper or bubble wrap then pack in picture/mirror boxes marked “FRAGILE” and stack on end.
- Use shrink-wrap to keep goods from getting scratched, keep protective covers in place, and dresser drawers closed.
- Any concrete floor may become cold or damp. Prepare your storage unit by placing a protective cover or pallet on the floor under your goods.
- Plan your storage space – put items you would like to access near the front.
- To maximize space, stack similar sized boxes together.
- Create an aisle in the middle of your storage unit so you can access things more easily.
- Do not place heavy or sharp items on top of cushions or upholstered furnishings.
- Leave refrigerators and freezer doors open for ventilation when storing.
- If you stand mattresses on their side, prop them up so they stand straight. Otherwise, they might bend out of shape or become lumpy.