Tips for Moving Out of State
Moving to another state? It can certainly be exciting but undoubtedly full of decision-making and questions. One thing you shouldn’t have to worry about is how to pack and fully prepare for moving across state lines. Read below for our tips for moving out of state.
- Decide between professional movers or a DIY move. Both are great options depending on a few factors: how far your move is, how many belongings you’re taking, and whether or not your company is paying. Professional movers will do all the heavy-lifting (literally) for you, but you can expect your items to arrive anywhere between 1-14 days after they’re packed up. If you do it on your own, you can ensure that your items will arrive with you, but you’ll be responsible for packing, unpacking, and moving everything.
- Budget accordingly. An out of state move can cost thousands of dollars if you use a professional moving service, but if you need the extra help, it can certainly be worth the price, it’ll just require some budgeting. Whether you choose to spend the money or go the DIY route, you’ll need to create an expense plan and be ready for the little things that may pop up.
- Create a timeline for packing. Start with the non-essentials, including items you won’t need in the few weeks leading up to your big move or the first week or so after arriving. Save the essentials for last in case you need them before you leave, and so you have them all in a few boxes for easy finding once you arrive.
- Consider donating items. Any big move will reveal items you no longer need. Take advantage of this and donate or sell items that you can part with.
- Build an emergency bag. Keep an emergency bag with you as you travel, and include items such as extra clothing, toiletries, cleaning supplies, and important documents you may need as you travel.
As you get ready to move to another state, do whatever you can to alleviate stress and ensure you’re fully prepared. The best way to do this is by getting started early on and stay organized throughout the entire process.
If you need some extra storage as you move, we’ve got you covered. We have plenty of storage units across many locations. Check them out here to see if there’s one close to your new home